Witham Rugby update!

22 Sep 2015

1st XV:

Witham wins v Gresham’s

The 1st XV made a good start to their season with victory over Gresham’s. In perfect playing conditions the side moved the ball with confidence and ambition, but the Gresham’s defence proved a tough nut to crack. Despite a steady supply of possession, Witham found themselves only 2 scores ahead at the break, but, right from the restart a mistake by the visiting full back gave Witham a cushion that they maintained through to the final whistle, the side also impressively withstood concerted Gresham’s pressure in the final two minutes.

2nd XV:

Witham Hall 22 : Gresham’s  19

The 2nd XV were thoroughly determined to perform their very best from the start – this is all I will ever ask of them. 

There was a nervous start from Witham which resulted in Gresham’s moving the ball out wide quickly and breaking through some tackles to eventually score.  However, after a few words of encouragement to the forwards about their rucking, things were turned around very quickly.  This not only led to a try but a domination of the game. Moreover, some strong support play and off-loading the ball out of the tackle were a delight to watch so early in the season. 

Harry Gillett had a terrific first match at fly-half and made some sensible decisions.  This coupled with the determination from Robert Tombs, Max Moore and the remaining try scorers resulted in a well-deserved win. 

If this is the start of the season then it is going to be an exciting one for the 2nd XV!

Colts B:

Witham Hall 65: Spratton Hall 5

On Saturday 12th September the Colts B side made the journey over to Spratton Hall.

Expecting a tough game the Witham Hall boys started brightly making some strong tackles and turning over possession, with which captain Sam Beattie made excellent use of, running in the first try of the game (and Sam's first of five). Throughout the first half the Witham boys continued to dominate possession and play with some excellent running from Beattie and Finn Wass; further tries came from Finn Wass (four for the game) and Sam Smith (two) to give Witham a commanding first half lead.

The second half saw some increased resilience from Spratton as they began to make life difficult for the Witham boys with some very good defending and spoiling at the breakdown. Spratton were indeed rewarded with the first try of the second half; however after this the Witham boys kicked on again, with some superb defensive work from Harry Leverton who then later scored a well-earned try right on the final whistle and a further two tries from Ben Armitage gave Witham Hall a superb first win of the season. Well done!


Witham Hall U10 A     1

Spratton Hall U10 A    6

Despite the disappointing scoreline the Under 10 A boys can take away plenty of positives from their first match of the season. Our tackling was committed and there was lots of effective play at the breakdown, allowing the ball to be recycled quickly. The very impressive Spratton team deserved their victory, but equally deserved was Will Chatterton's try after a determined second-half run. We're already looking forward to our next game!

Witham Hall U10 A   5 

Gresham's               10 

After a positive week of training, the Under 10 A boys' hopes were high for the visit of Gresham's. However, it was not to be as the team from Norfolk prevailed by ten tries to five. Witham did their best to compete but were ultimately undone by the pace and precision of the opponents. Our tries were scored by the impressive Jack Cummins (2), Will Chatterton (2) and Charlie Rymer. 


Witham Hall 15

Spratton Hall 55

It was the first game of the season for the Witham Hall squad and they were keen to get things off to a good start. The first try scored was by Spratton Hall, but Witham bounced back with a tremendous team try to put James Wass over the line giving the equalizer. This was short lived as the opposition then ran in 4 quick tries before halftime making it 5-25 to Spratton.

In the second half it was much more evenly matched. Both teams suffered injuries so the match continued as 7v7. With more space to run in on the pitch, Kit Parkinson scored an amazing solo try, followed by James just minutes after, scoring his second for the day. A special mention goes to Jake Lockett and Johnny Hall on their tackling abilities going low and bringing the opposition to a halt. But it was Spratton Hall who had the last say, making it 55-15 on the stroke of full time.