Tough afternoon of Hockey at the Repton Tournament!

22 Sep 2015

U11A to Repton Tournament

The U11A team had their first real test of the season at the Repton tournament last Wednesday. To be faced with Foremarke Hall in their first game of the day was certainly not a confidence builder! Losing 3-0 after 15 minutes of play with the ball simply being passed around our players was tough to take; Georgina at GK had a superb game in goal despite the score line. There was no time between matches to over think the previous game and the girls were straight back on against Spratton Hall. We were unlucky not to win this match; a few intercepted passes from Spratton through Witham not meeting the ball enabled Spratton to equalise our score and draw 2-2.

In our most frustrating game of the day the Witham U11A girls met The Elms. Our attack won a short corner and Ella scored a fantastic goal, only to have it disallowed. They had one stand out player who reverse sticked the ball into the bottom corner to once again equalise our lead to a 2-2 draw. We then played against Foremarke Hall’s B team which helped pick the girls up again and we managed a 4-0 win and demonstrated some skilful play. In our final match of the day against Fairfield the girls had to keep their tired legs going for just 15 more minutes. Witham took the early lead but unfortunately could not maintain it and went 2-1 down by the final whistle. Although disappointing to come 5th the girls gained invaluable tournament experience that will stand the girls in good stead for both Rugby and IAPS. Lots to work on, but great effort and enthusiasm form every member of the team!

1st VII to Repton mini Tournament:

WHS 0 Foremarke Hall 2

The girls started the game in sloppy fashion against a typically strong Foremarke side. Witham gave the ball away cheaply from the back of the pitch too often letting the opposition pressure them high up the pitch. After numerous warnings, Foremarke scored a well taken goal after the girls invited them into their D. It was the inevitable wake-up call that Witham needed and they started to move the ball quicker and into space. Opportunities arose with space behind the defence opening up. Philippa Hix went close with Anya Batty finding some space to get a shot away but unfortunately both shots finished just wide. The match started to become clustered with players trying to use the middle rather than the flanks. The Witham defence worked tirelessly but unfortunately they couldn’t keep out a slick Foremarke short corner on the final whistle. A strong performance in the girls’ first 11 a side match but the first ten minutes needed to be better.

WHS 1 Loughborough 0

After a few minutes breather, the girls were ready to play Loughborough and they started much brighter than in the first game. Isabella Manara controlled the midfield with real maturity, creating numerous opportunities for the forwards. Her nonstop work created the best opportunity of the match when the ball was slid neatly through a gap to Sienna Bowman and Holly Spragg which was then tapped in by Anya Batty. A deserving goal and one that was well needed to settle the nerves. Witham continued to press despite an injury to Philippa Hix and the defence held firm with Lottie Sharman, Georgia Blackman, Sophia Hamilton and in particular Alice Farmer doing everything possible to restrict the attack. The match finished 1-0 – a thoroughly deserving victory and one that needed real heart.