Colts Football Report:

09 Feb 2016

Colts A:

Grace Dieu Manor   1

Witham Hall            2

The Colts A boys achieved an excellent win away at Grace Dieu. The first half was tense and closely fought, with neither team able to break the other's defence. At half-time we knew that one goal would probably be enough for either team to win it, so when the hosts took the lead midway through the second half the prospects did not look good for Witham. However, our boys showed tremendous character to respond with well taken goals from Louis and Ludo – put through by George and Harry respectively – earning a hugely satisfying victory. Very well played indeed!

St Hugh's       1

Witham Hall 1

Our Colts A boys battled hard to earn a terrific draw against a talented St Hugh's team. The first half was evenly matched with neither side able to break the deadlock. However, the game burst to life five minutes into the second half when Charlie blasted the ball into the roof of the net from a tight angle to give Witham a precious lead. From then on St Hugh's dominated possession as they pressed hard for an equaliser. Max, making his first appearance as Colts A goalkeeper, made several excellent saves whilst our defensive pairing of Oli and George worked tirelessly in front of him. Unfortunately we couldn't quite hold on for the win – St Hugh's equalised with a deflected shot that crept agonisingly into the corner of our goal with just a few minutes of the match left. Witham still nearly snatched the victory but Harry's shot in the dying seconds was foiled by the crossbar. Overall, a great match – well played both teams!

Colts B:

Witham Hall                 3

Grace Dieu Manor     4

The Colts B made the trip to Grace Dieu for their first away fixture of the season. Witham made a slow start and in difficult conditions; despite some very good defensive work Witham were 3-0 down at half time.

After the half time Witham started to impose themselves on the game a lot more; making the Grace Dieu defence work much harder the game had soon become 3-1, and shortly after 3-2. With Witham pushing hard for the equaliser Grace Dieu managed to net a  fourth on the break, but Witham continued to push hard scoring a third with five minutes to go. Despite some outstanding attacking play in the dying moments (including hitting the cross bar) Witham couldn’t quite get the ball over the line. Despite the loss the boys can take a lot from this performance, in particular the resilience they showed in the second half to get back into the game.

Witham Hall                                           2

The Peterborough School Colts A   1

On Wednesday the Colts B faced off against the Peterborough School for the second time this season. After a 0-0 draw in their first encounter the Colts knew that they would be in for a tough contest and they were not disappointed.

After a slightly slow start from the Witham boys, Peterborough managed to gain some dominance in the early exchanges taking a 1-0 lead. However the Colts grew in confidence as the game progressed and managed to get back into it; a long clearance kick from keeper Max St John was poked home by Jack Cummins, a real poacher’s goal! Half time Colts B 1-1 Peterborough

The second half saw the Colts dominate for large parts, putting pressure on the Peterborough keeper and playing some excellent football. This resulted in a penalty for hand ball, which Ludo Elborne happily dispatched. Peterborough pushed hard for an equaliser but excellent defending kept them at bay; and when Peterborough had a penalty of their own keeper Max St John was the hero in saving it superbly.

Colts C:

Witham Hall    5

Grace Dieu      2

The Colts C looked to continue their strong run of form at Grace Dieu – a fixture which has historically proven to be one of the toughest on the calendar. Having lost key players Jack Cummins and James Fairfax to the B team, the team saw the return of Kit Parkinson and the inclusion of George Vergerson-Rowley. Both boys had an excellent game and George in particular was an imposing presence throughout. The first half saw plenty of goal mouth action; most of which was as a result of Witham dominance. Goals from Hugo Shippey (2) and Sammie Stokes (2) gave the team a comfortable 4 – 1 lead at half time after some wonderful football. Richard Tomlinson, Ben Armitage and Arthur Foljambe provided great cover in defence, whilst James Wass was superb going forward and created a good number of the goals.

The second half was much closer and the Grace Dieu team found their feet. Ben Price had a stint in goal to enable Richard some outfield time. Grace Dieu hit back early on in the half to bring the score back to 4-2, but the Witham boys responded well and Hugo managed to complete his hat-trick. Despite great pressure, particularly from George and Hamish Gordon-Stewart, no further goals came. The final score was 5 – 2 to Witham and George Vergerson-Rowley was voted player of the match.

Witham Hall                                            6

The Peterborough School Colts B    1

The Colts C continued in fine form, this time against Peterborough B team. Captain for the day, Finn Wass, made some invaluable contributions to the team including a number of marauding runs from defence. It didn’t take the boys long to find their stride and they were fired into the lead by Sammie Stokes, whose Jamie Vardy-esque run of form continues. James Wass played a delightful through ball that left Sammie one-on-one with the keeper and he dispatched his shot with aplomb.

The goals began to rattle in – James, not content with being the provider, fired home after good work from George Vergerson-Rowley. Sammie bagged a second before Felix Starkey linked up superbly with Hamish Gordon Stewart, receiving the return from a one-two before hitting the back of the net. Finn Wass charged down the left wing, exchanged passes with Hugo Shippey and then prodded the ball past the languishing keeper to make it 5. A reckless challenge in the Peterborough High box went unpunished as the game drew to its midway point.

At half time, the Witham boys were full of confidence and eager to get straight back to work. The second half was a much tighter affair – with the wind in the Witham faces, the Peterborough boys went into the ascendancy and soon managed to nick a goal with a delightful lob over the statuesque Felix. Witham then found a turn of pace and after some lovely football with one-touch passes fizzing around the pitch, George played Sammie through for his hat-trick – sadly his first time shot went millimetres wide. Fortunately, it was only moments later that James saw his shot parried away and the ball fell to Sammie who lashed it high into the roof of the net to complete his hat-trick and round off the scoring in the game.

The final score was 6 – 1 to Witham and Man of the Match was James Wass.

Colts D:

At the Witham Hall football Festival.

The Colts enjoyed a fine afternoon’s football in this annual festival that attracted six other schools.

Witham got stronger as the afternoon went on and eventually wound up by being placed second overall having won three games, lost two and drawn one.

Our victories came against Peterborough, King’s Ely and St. Hugh’s; we drew against Worksop Prep and lost to both Leicester and Laxton.

Goals from Jake Lockett (2), Johnny Hall (2), Esa Khalid and George Alford were our highlights of the afternoon that saw the squad developing an understanding of the 5-a-side format and growing in confidence as the afternoon progressed.

Well done to the squad of: George Alford, Felix Hamilton, Esa Khalid, Jake Lockett, Johnny Hall, Kit Chatterton, Henry Herdman and Ed Howells

Witham Hall               5

St Hugh’s Colts C    2

Witham Hall got off to a quick start against a strong defending St Hugh’s squad with Arthur Foljambe putting in 2 goals in the first 10 minutes.  Witham’s strong frontline continued to pile on the pressure as the first half went on with Johnny Hall and George Alford making several breaks and having numerous shots at goal. Despite this strong showing from Witham the St Hugh’s goal keeper did not let anything past him. However, Witham was pretty much in full control of possession in the first half until a late goal from St Hugh’s brought the score to 2-1 heading into the break.

The changing of ends sparked St Hugh’s into gear with them controlling the first 5 minutes of the second half with relentless shots on goal. If not for the exceptional defending by Eddie Howells and excellent goal keeping by Ben Price the score would have been evened up. The turning point of the second half was Jake Lockett and Kit Parkinson making a strong break and passing to Arthur for the goal. Witham then ran away with the game scoring a further 2 goals. St Hugh’s though managed to score 1 more. ‘Men’ of the match were Arthur Foljambe for scoring a “hat-trick” and Johnny Hall for an excellent all round game.