Senior Girls’ Hockey

28 Nov 2014

1st VII

St John’s College  0

Witham Hall  0

 With the renowned St John’s College the opponents for the day, the girls knew they would have to work hard all match to take something from the fixture. There was a high tempo start with Witham immediately on the back foot. St John’s surged forward pressing the Witham goal but luckily, chances were squandered along with Jenna Lloyd making some solid stops. Half time couldn’t come soon enough and the girls needed to show a response which thankfully they did. Just minutes in, Witham started to play with more composure, keeping their width and moving the ball early. Hattie Grace’s movement created space for Sophia Ktori to run riot down the right flank with two chances coming in quick succession with the goalkeeper equal to the efforts. Sophia hit the crossbar with a thunderous strike after fine work from Maria Morris and Felicity Bridges Webb before the post was hit again by Hattie Grace after strong counter attacking by Catherine Swanston and Philippa Hix. As the players became tired, end to end hockey emerged with a very exiting finish but the score remained goalless. Thank you to St John’s for such a wonderful visit and to the parents for their continued support.

Witham Hall 8

St Hugh’s 1

Isabella Manara x 3, Sophia Ktori x 3, Anya Batty x 1 & Felicity Bridges Webb x1

The Witham girls set up for their first proper eleven a side fixture this season and were raring to go. For the first ten minutes Witham sat back and struggled to maintain a rhythm but once the first goal went in, they never lost it. Sophia Ktori ran riot down the right flank linking up well with Hattie Grace but it was Isabella Manara who scored two cracking goals, deflecting in at the far post with real skill. For the defence it was a quiet first half but they always looked ready when danger lurked. In the second half, Witham continued their dominance showcased by a superb run and cool finish by Felicity Bridges Webb. Anya Batty continued to cause problems on the right and was rewarded with a goal after fine team play before St Hugh’s snuck in to score near the end. The score finished 8-1 and it really was a very impressive performance by the girls - well done. A big thank you must go to all the parents for their support and St Hugh’s for a great game of hockey.

Witham Hall 2

Stoneygate 0

Anya Batty x 2

 Two identical goals from Anya Batty sealed the win for the Witham girls during a fairly low key match. Witham dominated most of the possession but careless errors made it hard to build momentum. Finally Felicity Bridges Webb released to Sophia Ktori who crossed for Anya to slot home superbly with an identical goal in the second half. Lottie Bingham and Isabella Manara worked hard all game with Jenna Lloyd making superb saves to keep a clean sheet. Well done girls.

2nd VII:

Witham Hall  3

St John’s 0

Witham played with a slightly different team against St John’s after an unfortunate injury during training. The girls took a few minutes to settle in and find their positions, St John’s looked very skilled on the ball and quite dangerous in the D. Witham soon found their feet though and were on the attack with a brilliant goal worked through from Anya Batty and Jojo Chawner got the final touch on the ball past the keeper. St John’s came back with a counter attack but Piper Dallimore had it all under control clearing the ball out well. The second goal of the second half came from Isabella Manara beating 2 players to get a shot off from the top of the D into the bottom corner. The first half was fantastic; we just needed to keep momentum going into the second half!

St John’s came back strong and put the pressure on having 3 close shots; Piper saved one after the other before Maria Morris cleared the ball out the D. Ella Turner kept picking the ball off the St John’s attack and trying to clear it out wide to Jojo and our captain Harriet Darley. The third and final goal came from a superb pass up the pitch from Jojo, placing it in front of Isabella for her to run on to, and then feeding the ball into Anya Batty who was waiting top D, slotting the ball onto the backboard. The girls worked so well as a team and that is reflected in the score, particularly against a skilful side like St John’s.

Witham Hall  5

St Hugh’s  0

 The Witham girls started strongly against a feisty St Hugh’s side and before long were two goals up. Leonie Fraser and Olivia Burnett were rocks at the back powering the ball up consistently to Chica Maitland who along with Abbie Leverton scored the first two.  Witham piled on the pressure and after two fine saves from Sophie Wass, the girls extended their lead after good play from Sienna Bowman and Harriet Darley. In the second half Witham moved the ball wide far better and scored another two impressive goals through the wing play of Chica Maitland and Abbie Leverton. Well done girls on a very good win.

Witham Hall  2

Stoneygate  0

Before darkness set in we quickly got the U13 matches underway on a rather miserable Wednesday afternoon. Unfortunately it was a painfully slow start to the game as the girls gradually got out of ‘exam mode’ and into ‘hockey mode’! Stoneygate looked to have some skilful players and were tackling Witham well; the first half ended 0-0 after a rather flat 15 minutes of play.

After a quick firing up at half time the girls started to look more cohesive. Catherine Swanston, Lydia Plant and Ella Turner began distributing the ball more and moving up the pitch. A ball then came in from Harriet Darley, on the right, and Philippa Hix scored our first goal! Just minutes after Jojo Chawner was on the far post and slipped the second goal past the keeper. Stoneygate had a few shots but Sophie Wass cleared them all out keeping a clean sheet again. A good finish to the match and a positive 2-0 win.

3rd VII:

St John’s  2

Witham Hall 3rd VII 1

 The girls entered the match with real enthusiasm, hassling the opposition in all areas of the pitch. Chica Maitland worked well up the left flank combining well with Issy Wass and chances were created at both ends. St John’s took the lead after fine counter attacking play but the Witham girls certainly didn’t give up. After a fine short corner the ball was worked back into the area and after a scrappy piece of play, the ball was slotted back into the goal by Issy Wass. After half time, the girls continued to press hard with Georgia Blackman solid at the back and surging forward when needed. With all the Witham pressure, St John’s broke on a swift counter attack and struck with just minutes remaining. The girls tried to get back into the match but time ran out of time. A great effort but unfortunately just pipped at the post. Well done to all the girls and thank you to St John’s for a great visit. Thank you also to the parents for their continued support throughout.

 Witham Hall  0

Thomas Deacon Academy U12A  7

On Wednesday a mixed team from the seniors went to Thomas Deacon Academy in Peterborough. They were a tough team and the Witham girls tried hard all the way through the match. Abbie Leverton and Sophia Howard helped Fraser Hakney in goal trying to stop the strong TDA attack. Mia Harcourt and Holly Spragg both made the executive decision to also drop back and defend as the match progressed. Amid all the defending, the Witham team did manage to get the ball down the pitch. Sienna Bowman and Chloe Howard passed the ball between them well and had a few attempts at goal. The final score was 7-0 to TDA.

Witham Hall  3

St Hugh’s  2

The match started with some excellent passes from Mia Harcourt and Holly Spragg. The girls had some good opportunities where they dribbled the ball into the D but then weren’t able to get any shots on goal as St Hugh’s was very good at clearing the ball. Fortunately we were too; Piper Dallimore’s strong hit’s sent the ball straight to the other end of the pitch. Holly was able to break away and with less defenders having caught up with her, she had an opening and scored. By this point the score was 1-1 and Witham were in high spirits. The second goal came from Mia with an excellent set up from Issy Wass. This set us in the lead and the first half ended with a score of 2-1.

The second half started with a little more difficulty, Fraser Hakney in goal was tested a bit more as the St Hugh’s players had several shots on goal. We did well to finally clear it from the D with Sophia Howard’s help. The ball was sent straight up to Andrea Arenas Santos waiting in the attacking D. She turned and took a shot and it just skimmed the post on the wrong side, but nonetheless a brilliant attempt from Andrea. St Hugh’s scored again in the second half but we also got another chance which was taken by Mia at the top of the D. In the end we won with a score of 3-2. Well done girls, a great effort from all of you.