Final Boys’ Rugby Report of the Michealmas Term 2014!

12 Dec 2014


Witham Hall  7

Spratton Hall  17

Tries: W. Chandler

Conv: W. Chandler

As one might have expected based on past experiences, Spratton were adept at passing and certainly made the most of any ball they got by spraying as wide as they could and using the width that the first team pitch afforded. However, they had not reckoned with the fine Witham cover tackling that denied them several times with Archie Smith Maxwell being truly outstanding in this respect.

If Spratton took the passing honours, Witham won the contact battle managing to stifle possession and turnover ball fairly successfully. However Witham could just not match the endeavour of Spratton with the ball in hand and forays to the wide spaces were far and few. In the scrummage Witham held sway but spent much of the game defending the increasingly threatening attacks. Spratton scored just before half time when some poor tackling allowed a Spratton forward to cutback and score underneath the posts.

At the start of the second half a poor restart gave the advantage to Witham who muscled their way towards the Spratton line with Will Chandler going over and then converting his own try. Spratton responded with a fine chip through and dive on a bobbling ball in the in-gaol area and then a penalty near the line yielded another try before the end.

A tough afternoon but again the durable nature of the Witham boys was encouraging.

Witham Hall 2nd XV  12

King’s School Grantham U12A  47

Tries: F. Arlott, C. Wass

Conv: H. Thompson

As the Witham faithful assembled for the final game of the season they were greeted by icy blasts that made it a tough afternoon for both spectators and players alike.

King’s, as was to be expected, were a tough team to face with the Witham 2nds decimated by injury and illness. We have been able to put out a squad of twenty during this season but on this occasion we had to field a rather diminished thirteen. However, as the boys have proved again and again through this season, they never “throw the towel” and although Grantham did enjoy territorial dominance aided by a stiffening wind, Witham did not let them have it their own way. Max Shippey, Callum Wass, Toby Coulson and a bullish Frankie Atkinson made hard yards and yet again in the tight and loose, Witham had the upper hand. However, the bulk and power of the Grantham backs eventually told, and in a short period at the end of the first half when they dominated possession, Grantham dealt the decisive blow with several tries in quick succession.

After the break Witham used the wind to their advantage and with skipper Harry Thompson kicking cleverly, Witham camped in the Grantham half for most of the second half to allow Freddie Arlott and Callum Wass to cross the line. Witham applied the pressure in the latter stages, winning a series of penalties and a final scrum against the head. The Grantham boys were forced to defend wave after wave of attack with a now rampant Frankie Atkinson on the charge, Witham came close to scoring again, only to be denied by some fine Grantham tackling.

This was a very tough fixture with which to end our season, but as ever the boys impressed all with their durability and resilience.

Colts A:

Witham Hall      42

Stoneygate        26

An illness-stricken Colts A were victorious in their final match of the season in chilly conditions against a spirited Stoneygate side. Witham’s play at times was superb – the rucking, mauling and overall teamwork was the best seen all term. Our six tries were shared between Archie Bingham (2), Felix Starkey (2), Oliver Allport and Christopher Bingham, with all successfully converted by Max St John. A very satisfying end to the season – well played boys!

Witham Hall          14

Stamford Junior    35

Despite our boys' best efforts, Stamford had too much pace and power for the Colts A in what was an entertaining 9-a-side encounter on a damp Saturday afternoon. Tries by skipper Archie Bingham and scrum-half Oliver Allport were not enough to wrestle control of the match from the visitors, who fully deserved their victory by five tries to two. Positives for Witham include some improved play at the breakdown, but work must be done to avoid giving away needless penalties.

Magdalene House     42

Witham Hall Colts A   7

The Colts A saved their most disappointing display of the season for the cold Wisbech haze. Our boys restricted their hosts to just two tries in the first half, and at the interval our hopes were high for a comeback. However, it was not to be, and Magdalene House ran in four more converted tries. A last-second consolation try in the corner for Harry Gillett could not disguise an overall performance that requires much improvement.

Colts B:

Stamford Junior School  47

Witham Hall  14

The Witham Hall Colts were more determined than ever to play some great rugby – they did just that from the start, passing the ball out of the tackle, keeping it alive by recycling the ball out of the ruck.  Unfortunately, they did not transfer this into points because the opposition was very good at putting on the pressure.  Stamford Junior School had two very athletic players who weaved their way through our defence to score a few too many tries. 

The second half was Witham’s – they really did show huge determination and spirit to not give up despite several tries scored against them.  George Weaving had an incredible game at scrum half, both defensively and in attack.   The icing on the cake for me was seeing Finn Wass drive forward and score a try with nothing other than success written all over his face!

Overall, it was a tough game and the boys knew this from the start.  However, I am so proud of each and every one of them to have faced such a good team and show they could play some good rugby too.

Colts C :

Witham Hall  40

Magdalene House U11B  0

A superb display of determination and improved level of skill was evident today, all of which led to a comfortable victory.  The Witham boys passed the ball well, keeping it alive in and around the contact. All the aspects of the previous training sessions were put into the match, which made it a real joy to watch. 

Strong tries were scored by Harry Jones, Harry Leverton, Finn Wass and Ludo Elbourne.